Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 9

Suede

"Suede" by its texture...


This was shot using my Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm lens, zoomed to 55mm, and a 10x closeup lens. I used a 1/1.3 second shutter speed @ F18.

Although the focal length is extremely short, only a few milimeters, I was still please with the detail that I was able to pick up. I could have taken the 10x lens off in order to increase the depth of field but I feel like that would have taken away the photo's central focus point. In a texture-centered photo, I didn't feel having everything in focus made for a very pleasing photo. I felt as if my eye wandered too much, looking for a place to settle. Leaving the 10x lens on, effectively shortening the depth of field and leaving only the middle few milimeters in focus, made for a much more pleasing photo.

The thing I love about this photo is that its (overly)warm tones adds to the feeling of comfort that I get when I look at this texture. However, I already knew this was suede. Had I instead changed the photo caption to "Leather", would the viewer get a different idea of its feel? 

Context can mean a lot when it comes to photography. People like to say, "The camera never lies", but they don't always recognize that in witholding context the truth isn't always what it appears to be. A picture is worth a thousand words, but change the context, and suddenly, there a now a thousand new words.

No comments:

Post a Comment