Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Day 11

Background of wall art


As good as gold.


This was taken with my Nikon D3000 with the lens zoomed in to 55mm. I used a 1.6 second shutter speed @ F5.6, ISO 125. This time I didn't use any closeup lenses due to the fact that the wall art is fairly large and I wanted to a wider angle than most of my other posts this week.


This is the painted surface of a piece of wall art, but I don't know what it is made out of. I could easily touch the piece and tell if it's metal or plaster, but I want to remain ignorant so that my idea of what the composition is supposed to feel like doesn't influence my feelings of the texture. From the photo, it looks like plaster with a gold flake adhered to the surface. In real life, from a distance, it looks almost like a smooth metal with gold metal paint and added texture.


Personally, I find it fun to speculate on how the texture came to be. I feel as though I have created a small mystery that could easily be solved with a single touch, but that would end it. It is much more intriguing to not know and wonder than to know and make it boring. It is these little mysteries that can bring us a small amount of enjoyment from ordinary things around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment