Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day 10

Cement flower pot

Day 10, cemented in my mind.

This was shot with my Nikon D3000 with attached 10x closeup lens, kit lens zoomed in to 48mm, 1/1.6 @ F16. I had an incandescent light source that gave off a red hue, so I color corrected, in-camera. The technical aspect of the shot is nothing to write home about, so to speak, which is why I am just breezing through it.

The idea behind this shot was to show the stippling in the cement of this flower pot. However, because of the paint and lack of a dedicated macro lens, they didn't show up very well. Yet, I couldn't look away from this shot. What is seen in the photo is not exactly what is seen in real life.

In real life, the flower pot has browns and greys and other earthy tones yet looks almost lively. The photo tells a different story. The image gives an overwhelming sense of somberness. The photo is very serious. I immediately think of an ancient forest in a forgotten land where the sun never shines. There is an eeriness to the mood brought on by the deep shadows and muted highlights. The contours seem to almost mimick the roots from twisted and mangled trees.

This photo has shown me that even the most uninspired shot can sometimes make a strong impression. In real life, I see a flower pot, but in the image, a dark twisted root. This just reaffirms what I mentioned in my last post, context can change a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment