Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 7

Wood Grain

The detail is in the texture

The purpose of this shot was to get close to the wood and display every little grain. Unfortunately I don't have a dedicated macro lens so this is the best I could do. I used my Nikon D3000 with the 18-55mm lens with an attached 10x closeup lens.

This was a difficult shot to make due to the lighting restraints. I was shooting under a ceiling light that was casting a yellow light. Another challenge was the need to use an aperture of F18 in order to get more of the shot in focus at such a close range. This effectively made lighting issues worse.

I used a 4 second shutter speed at F18, ISO 250. The lens was zoomed in at 36mm. I manually set the white balance to Incandescent but still had to do a little color correction, in camera, to correct the yellow lighting.

This is a snapshot into the theme of next week. Each day I will be taking photos of different textures that I find interesting. As I've stated in a previous post, I enjoy macro photography and capturing textures falls into that category. With the limited equipment, it is not going to be an easy task.

I love wood grain when examined closely. There is something beautiful in the natural direction and pattern in wood grain. This particular shot is of the back of my Dean acoustic guitar. It is a beautiful guitar and I have plans of other posts featuring this guitar. 

I'm excited to get this new week started after having finished this first week of posts. I don't plan to have a theme for every week as I would like to keep things organic and spontaneous. There are many different textures in our world and it is going to be very exciting delving into things that our eyes normally wash over.

No comments:

Post a Comment